ABOUT THIS SITE
I set up this site as a place where I could share my experiences, teaching ideas and lesson plans with fellow teachers. I have learnt a great deal since I started reading other teaching professionals’ ELT-related blogs. I hope that you will be able to find something useful here. All views expressed on this site are my own, not those of any institution I work for.
I’m an English teacher currently based in South East London, teaching ESOL in a college of Further Education. I have also previously taught at a private language school in Pamplona, Spain. My main interests are using music and video in the classroom (which I do whenever I can), and more currently, integrating technology and web 2.0 into my teaching.
My teaching has developed a lot since I started blogging, and I have also begun to present workshops at conferences in Europe. Below is a list of the conference and other ELT events that I have presented at, both individually and as part of a group (those marked with asterisks *). You can find articles I have had published in the Articles section.
- * ‘ESOL Workshop’, British Council seminars, June 2010 (video)
- * ‘Using digital resources with ESOL students’, NATECLA National Conference, Guildford, July 2010
- * ‘Online CPD’, English UK Teachers Conference, London, November 2010 (video)
- ‘Before words: ideas for using images and sound in the language classroom’, ISTEK Schools International ELT Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, April 2011
- * ‘Differentiated learning supported by technology’, ESOL SIG Pre-conference event, IATEFL Annual Conference, Brighton, April 2011
- ‘Before words: ideas for using images and sounds in the classroom’, ETAS SIG Day, Zug, Switzerland, September 2011
- ‘Before words: ideas for using images and sounds in the classroom’, TESOL France Annual Colloquium, Paris, France, November 2011
- * ‘Differentiation for mixed level classes’, NATECLA Yorkshire and Humberside Training Day, Huddersfield, March 2012
- ‘No words: ideas for using images and sound in class’, IATEFL Annual Conference, Glasgow, March 2012 (summary)
- ‘Sound activities: finding, making and using sound effects in the language classroom’, NATECLA National Conference, Sheffield, July 2013
- ‘Sound activities: finding, making and using SFX in the classroom’, IATEFL Poland, Lodz, September 2013
- ‘Exploring to learn: setting up experimental practice in ELT’, IATEFL Hungary, Budapest, October 2013
- ‘Exploring experimental practice as professional development in ELT’, TESOL France, Paris, November 2013
- ‘Getting some Facebook time with your peers’, 3rd Virtual Round Table Conference, October 2010 (video)
- ‘Sound activities for the ELT classroom’, 5th Virtual Round Table Conference, April 2012 (video)
- Sound effects webinar for BELTA, August 2013 (BELTA members can access the video here - note this takes you to a members’ only page)